Sunday, August 13, 2006

Home again, home again, jiggedy jig

My hour long layover in London on Thursday turned into a 30 hour layover. Had I waited for rebooking of my original ticket, it may have been Monday or Tuesday before I would have returned. Perhaps if I was more adventurous, I would have stuck around and explored a new city. But I already missed my first day of work and I would have missed Nancy's birthday dinner. I would have missed the Zurich street parade and a wonderful breakfast for the first year teachers at Sprungli's. But mostly I would have missed my Coys. It has almost been an entire month since I've spent two nights in a row at our apartment. So now I've hidden my suitcases in the basement and I'm determined to be here for awhile. My week-long visit to Memphis for Ashley's wedding was terrific- packed with people I love, so quick that I still missed out on a lot of folks. (The highlight was meeting two beautiful babies- Tirzah and Lindley both had little boys this summer proving that life does in fact continue without me around!) I cried during take-off and for the first few minutes of flying away from Memphis. But then I turned my thoughts to the relationships and responsibilities awaiting me in Zurich. And I had plenty of time stuck in lines in London amidst the confusion to review all that I have to be thankful for in my life. By the time I landed in Zurich and was found by my bouquet-wielding husband, I truly felt like I was coming home.

5 comments:

tirzah said...

Thanks for my pedicure and I love you muchly. I love wht you wrote and am so happy for you. Have a good first day tomorrow.

J. B. Hood said...

KCJ,

So glad you made it back to your cozy Coyrner of the world.

There's a made-for-TV movie on tonight (TNT...we know drama), about some teacher named Ron Clark who moved to NYC to teach in Harlem. Frankly I'm not sure I'm going to watch, although Emily is really excited. I kind of feel like a WWII vet --four years in the service, and now I can't stand to watch movies about people going through the same experience. Too realistic--the guy is slamming desks, trying to hang with the kids at recess, getting the kids to follow rules...I'm getting flashbacks.

Anyway, TOTALLY reminded me of that movie your mom kindly took us to see when we were trying to find our feet in front of the class. I think this one is more realistic. Except that the teacher is played by Matthew Perry. I'm not making this up.

Rachiley said...

glad to hear you made it back. i wondered if your flight/route would have you traveling back through London to get to Zurich. i would have been a sad flyer with no tunes or books to feed my head.

happy that you had a safe return. i hope your first week of school goes well. miss ya and can't wait to see you soon.

JTB said...

were the flowers placed in coy's beard waiting to be affectionately plucked?

Karin said...

KCJ,

You're not going to believe this but Brent and I were in London at almost the same time you were there. We spent 10 days in Ireland and then went to London where my good Friend, Anne (from high school lives). We got there on the 12th and left on the 16th! We went up to Oxford and got to see Sally and her little boy, William, and Toni. They are both doing pretty well and send a warm hello. I sent a pic to your hotmail account but I don't know if you ever check it anymore. Anyway, I just wanted to say 'Hi" and thank you for the postcard. I'm glad we can keep in touch now!

Love,
Kar