Sunday, April 01, 2007

Hard at work in Dubai

Memphis Teaching and Learning Academy, eat your heart out.

As a teacher new to the curriculum at my school, I needed to attend a conference in order to take an introductory course. I was given the option of spending a week of my summer vacation at a conference in Switzerland or being flown to Dubai for 4 days. The decision was not difficult.

My time in the UAE was fantastic though it would have been nice to have had a bit more free time. I made it to several souks (markets), rode a dhow (little boat) in the creek, and bought plenty of shawarma and fruit juices from street vendors but I missed out on a desert tour and skiiing indoors at one of the many huge malls.

I thought about buying new outfits for Coy and me at the market:



Pierre enjoyed learning about a new culture. These bathroom signs were found at the beach.



I will try to write a bit more about my time and post a few more pictures. I'm very grateful for the opportunity to go to Dubai- the meetings were really worthwhile as well!

5 comments:

Rob said...

Looks like Pierre needs a bath. How ironic.

Rachiley said...

What pictures of the bathroom, but not the beach? It would be nice to see Pierre surfing into shore...

kkm said...

you lucky duck!

Michelle D said...

Hey Kacey, Thanks so much for your kind words. Good to hear from you! Zurich eh? - sounds and looks incredible. I was once discussing places to go with a well-traveled friend of ours and he said the most beautiful place he had ever been to was Switzerland. It's high on my list of places to go while over here. Well, I loved The Glass Castle - hated for it to end. I'm in the middle of Calamity Physics. We actually don't have East of Eden in our little library and I would love to read it. Thanks! I read it a long, long time ago and only remember that I liked it very much. Anything I can send you? Hope you and your best friend have a lovely weekend.

Tirzah said...

That was a fun little circle. I miss you girl.