Saturday, May 19, 2007

Her voice is full of money, old sport...



Some 11th grade nostalgia prompted me to pick up "The Great Gatsby" at the Atlanta airport. Some lines from Mr. F.S. Fitzgerald:

"There must have been moments even that afternoon when Daisy tumbled short of his dreams — not through her own fault but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion."

"Daisy and Jordan lay upon an enormous couch, like silver idols weighing down their own white dresses against the singing breeze of the fans."

"At the enchanted metropolitan twilight I felt a haunting loneliness sometimes, and felt it in others--poor young clerks who loitered in front of windows waiting until it was time for a solitary restaurant dinner--young clerks in the dusk, wasting the most poignant moments of night and life."

"Americans, while occasionally willing to be serfs, have always been obstinate about being peasantry."

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Hey Coy & Kasey!

This is Kyle Gehres. Coby recently gave me the link to your blog. Upon reading it, I was a little confused. Pierre who? But then the pictures gave away the real identities. Anyways, I think the blog is awesome. I enjoyed the reference to the Buckley tradition: Eating a big bowl of chocolate ice cream. I know this is the comments section. So rather than blabber on, I think I'll just give you my email address. It's kylegehres@yahoo.com. I'm dying to know what you've been doing the last year. Best, Kyle.