Saturday, May 12, 2007

There's no place like home...

I woke up this morning and, for the first time in a long while, I had to remind myself that I was in Switzerland. It just didn't make sense to be here today when all of my family is gathered to celebrate my cousin's wedding in Memphis. Months ago, the decision to stay sounded reasonable enough- even the bride agreed. But today it felt like I should have dropped a grand on spending more time on the airplane than in Tennessee if only I could see Susannah get hitched. How could I have possibly put a price tag on something as monumental as this? How could I have passed up on the occasion to dance with my dad or meet the girl that my brother has dared bring around my inquisitive family? Tomorrow I may be thinking rationally again but today I'm longing to be home so badly that it hurts.
If only I had a pair of these:

The image “http://www.beyondthewall.com/xcart/images/product/movies-family-tchachkis-magnets-wizard-of-oz-ruby-red-slippers-6684871322479.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I forgot to add a photo of the couple whose wedding I missed (photo by Russel Hays (am I in copyright violation if I give him credit?)):

DSCF0084.jpg

1 comment:

kkm said...

ay, chama, lo siento mucho por ti! y se lo que estas sintiendo... aunque no me estoy perdiendo una boda familiar, si va haber una gran family cookout para el dia de la madre. we call it the Annual Surprise Mother's Day party porque todos los años planeamos algo para la abuela y no se lo decimos. pero todos los años lo hacemos asi que no puede ser una sorpresa!

i hope today's wave of home-sickness can be cured with some swiss chocolate and a walk along lake zurich with yer esposo!!!!