Friday, July 20, 2007

The Holiest of Holies

I found it. A church in the center of Addis Ababa is the final resting place of the Ark of the Covenant.



Behind these golden curtains lay the Ark. I suppose I could have imagined a more regal setting, but somehow the simplicity of the environment was fitting. At first, I wasn't allowed to actually view the Ark, but after pulling together the remaining cash I had (and borrowing some from the my driver), I managed to offer the local priest 60 Ethiopian birr - a meager sum (USD 6), but enough to view the Ark in its final resting place.

I wasn't allowed to take photos, but let me tell you, it was spectacular. The wooden box was overlaid in pure gold. The sound of the rain outside was almost drowned out by the spiritual hum of the Ark and its contents. I ventured to touch it, but was quickly stopped by my driver. The priest took a pair of weathered gloves and tilted the lid enough to show me its contents. I couldn't see much, but in the darkness I swear I saw every thing I've ever done wrong and the future of my lineage scattering out like stars in the sky.

Some other wall art:






Post Ark viewing, me, donning the priestly drums and playing a ceremonial cleansing tune.

1 comment:

J. B. Hood said...

Let me just say I am so very glad you didn't have an angel-laser burn through your gut. "Don't look, Miriam."