Monday, May 31, 2010

Painful Procedures

About two weeks ago, I had a root canal. I had broken Tooth Care Rule #1 and had tried to open a water bottle with my teeth not knowing that Coy had been the last one to tighten the top. Big mistake. The root canal itself wasn’t nearly as bad as I had anticipated. The IPod is crucial to enduring dental work- it gives you something to think about and something to help drown out the noise. I had belatedly realized that my earphones had been confiscated by my husband so I was left wearing these:




And then I found that the IPod battery was dead, at which point I began to cry. But only a little and I was alone. The tears paid off though because the dentist saw me wiping them away when he entered and then offered me his own IPod. German rage music can really hold its own against drills.


So if an IPod makes a root canal bearable, we need to find the trick that makes leaving Switzerland less painful. The day after my root canal, we had our initial meeting at the Gemeinde (like a town hall of sorts for just our neighborhood) to begin the process of deregistering as Swiss residents. That’s right, after five full years here for Coy, our time in Zurich is coming to an end. And even though it was our choice to go, it’s hard.

1 comment:

christian and amanda said...

OUCH!
Coy, don't be such a show-off with your bottle tightening!

Thinking of you guys during this transition. That is about as long as I was in WV.
The place where you first lived together...and had a baby, and countless adventures. I am sure this is difficult and exciting all at once! Is Townes bi- or tri- lingual at this point??