Sunday, September 12, 2010

We respond to reader comments

It seems our masked reader has struck again, this time with a question regarding our post "Au Natural".

Anonymous writes, "What is gentle heckling consists of in Ghana?"

Anonymous then adds, "Wait --that was supposed to say What does gentle heckling mean?"

First, we commend you on taking the time to make the grammar correction. I'm not sure I would have done it, myself. Maybe it's a lack of appropriate functionality...

Second, to your question, let me begin with a picture.



So this is the village market...is it what you pictured? Maybe slightly more rustic?

The attention usually begins with children calling out to us as we leave the dirt road that leads down from our home to the main road that is paved. Sometimes a small group will walk alongside while tapping Townes’s shoe or holding my hand. Other kids are content to just shout ‘Obrouni!’ (which means “White Person’) and wave. And children like to try out their English phrases- ‘How are you? I’m fine.’

Once we enter the market though, the attention does at times have the feel of being affectionately teased. Maybe I’ll try out my few phrases in Twi ("Me beh taw Ntooos 5000", "I want to buy 50 peswas of tomatoes") and the person will respond at great length and then chuckle when I have to say "Men te ase", or “I don’t understand”. Or there’s the one lady who is obviously known for being a joker because she can really get the ladies in the stall around her laughing. And everyone would love to have more of Townes’s attention but he’s not really one to meet and greet. He’s not averse to the crowd but he does not respond to someone shaking his hand or saying ‘Good morning’ directly to him. We’ll work on it!

Kacey negotiating for the best prices and freshest selections!



Of course, there are also plenty of friendly faces. We bought the spice mixture for our Kontomire from these ladies:

No comments: