Tuesday, March 05, 2013

We'll be comin' round the mountain....


While Coy braved the winter cold in DC, the boys and I went on an overnight hiking trip with friends! The Hash celebrated its 10th Anniversary by going to Rongai, a village where some people start their climbs of Kilimanjaro. It was about a 2-hour drive around Kili and the views were spectacular.



We stayed at a place that reminded me of Switzerland with its flowers and lush grass. (In fact, if you're reading this and you don't live in Africa or NYC, please take a moment and appreciate the grass that you see on a daily basis. February and March have been so hot and dry here that it feels like we're always covered in a layer of dust these days!) I was also excited to find the model for the cell phone towers that look like fake trees in the States-





The hike was enjoyable- pretty and not too brutal. Townes amazed me again by hiking the whole 2.5 hours on his own, albeit slowly! We were the last folks back to finish the hike but, thankfully, we had the company of another mom and her 4-year old.




Gus apparently needs to be sleeping in cold weather everynight b/c he slept 11 hours straight. I however had to step outside at 3am to shake some crickets out of the tree by my window. Have you ever heard crickets right next to your bed as you sleep? Unbelievably loud. I didn't actually think I would be able to get them to move but I had to try something and it worked!

Yes, it was a good weekend. But the boys were even more excited to see their daddy again:



The T-Rex from the Smithsonian was a big hit too!

No comments: